What's Your Story? - The Mad Gamer
While I struggle my way through Codename: ICEMAN, it's time to post another reader's responses to the What's Your Story questionairre. A fellow grammar nazi, The Mad Gamer is a veteran of the blog and gaming in general. He's also a reader who in some ways has similar tastes to my own, but in others couldn't be further from them. Finally, The Mad Gamer now holds the undisputed "Most Shocking Answer" title, which will undoubtedly require some explanation.
My home country is… The good old US of A
My age is… 31
The first adventure game I played was… King's Quest III, the first computer game we got on the first computer we got that could do more than word process.
My favourite adventure game is… Quest for Glory 1 or 2. I loved the setting in 1. I loved the story in 2. I'm also a huge fan of RPGs, and love the combination of the two genres. I feel that adventure game RPGs are the only hybrids that really compliment each other, as they both focus on story and inventory puzzles.
I like my games in (a box, digital format)… These days digital, simply because its easy to transport and use.
The thing I miss about old games is… The feelies. I miss opening the box and finding a thick manual full of beautiful drawings and backstory. I miss the cloth maps and trinkets of the Ultima series. It just helped suck you into the game that much more.
If I could see any band live it would be… Either the Coffin Shakers or Einherjer.
The best thing about modern games is… The indie scene. Most of the AAA titles are bland and boring. I'm actually having this discussion in several forums right now about how modern gamers seem to focus entirely on graphics and glitz, while the depth that text only dialogue trees and quest branching offered is lost due to budget constraints from hiring big name VAs limiting how much NPCs will react to.
The one TV show I never miss is… My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Yes, I'm a brony and fiercely proud of it. The show has good characters, good writing, and the best animation I've ever seen for flash.
When I’m not playing games I like to… I'm currently writing a roguelike, I also watch old school film noir and gangster movies from the 20s through the 50s.
My favourite movie is… Modern times, Boondock Saints. Powerful movie, with great characters and an engaging story. All time, ummmm, I like the '41 remake of Maltese Falcon, or maybe I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang.
One interesting thing about me is… Back in my crazy days I separated my rib from my sternum taking a huge hit off a waterpipe. I just tied it down, and didn't see a doctor cause I couldn't afford it, or pain killers. I ran out of gas, and had to pay a bum to push me to a gas station. I didn't sleep 2 days from the pain. When I feel asleep I flipped over and popped my rib back in. My roommate later told me he heard it, and was worried until I snored. I remembered waking up, stretching, and being impressed that there was no pain.
My home country is… The good old US of A
My age is… 31
The first adventure game I played was… King's Quest III, the first computer game we got on the first computer we got that could do more than word process.
My favourite adventure game is… Quest for Glory 1 or 2. I loved the setting in 1. I loved the story in 2. I'm also a huge fan of RPGs, and love the combination of the two genres. I feel that adventure game RPGs are the only hybrids that really compliment each other, as they both focus on story and inventory puzzles.
QFG = GAG - PNC + RPG
I like my games in (a box, digital format)… These days digital, simply because its easy to transport and use.
The thing I miss about old games is… The feelies. I miss opening the box and finding a thick manual full of beautiful drawings and backstory. I miss the cloth maps and trinkets of the Ultima series. It just helped suck you into the game that much more.
If I could see any band live it would be… Either the Coffin Shakers or Einherjer.
Metal!!!!!!!!! (Although I wish you'd given me an excuse to post a Bathory image)
The best thing about modern games is… The indie scene. Most of the AAA titles are bland and boring. I'm actually having this discussion in several forums right now about how modern gamers seem to focus entirely on graphics and glitz, while the depth that text only dialogue trees and quest branching offered is lost due to budget constraints from hiring big name VAs limiting how much NPCs will react to.
The one TV show I never miss is… My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Yes, I'm a brony and fiercely proud of it. The show has good characters, good writing, and the best animation I've ever seen for flash.
I'm sure you have a good explanation for this. I'd really like to hear it (no sarcasm there)!
When I’m not playing games I like to… I'm currently writing a roguelike, I also watch old school film noir and gangster movies from the 20s through the 50s.
My favourite movie is… Modern times, Boondock Saints. Powerful movie, with great characters and an engaging story. All time, ummmm, I like the '41 remake of Maltese Falcon, or maybe I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang.
Boondock Saints: One of a very select few movies that I couldn't even finish. Others seem to love it though, so it must be just me.
One interesting thing about me is… Back in my crazy days I separated my rib from my sternum taking a huge hit off a waterpipe. I just tied it down, and didn't see a doctor cause I couldn't afford it, or pain killers. I ran out of gas, and had to pay a bum to push me to a gas station. I didn't sleep 2 days from the pain. When I feel asleep I flipped over and popped my rib back in. My roommate later told me he heard it, and was worried until I snored. I remembered waking up, stretching, and being impressed that there was no pain.
If anyone else wants to send their answers and get 20 CAPs, please send them to theadventuregamer@gmail.com.




No hay comentarios